Monday, September 11, 2006

1,826 days...

Not a day has gone by since September 11, 2001 that I haven't thought about it. That the towers haven't flashed through my mind and a wave of a burning sadness runs through me. But it has certainly gotten easier. 2002, 2003... were hard. I was filled with anxiety for weeks before and after the anniversary. I suppose moving to Columbus has made it a little easier by giving me some distance. But in some ways it feels like a betrayal to my city.

My heart is in New York today -- and I wish I were there today. I'm working from home today -- I just couldn't bear to go into the office here -- where people just don't understand what 9/11 was like in NY. They use the day to be "pro-Bush", instead of what I need, which is to remember what happened. I got email responses from my executives at work this morning saying "have a nice day, see you tomorrow". *sigh* A nice day. Yeah. That Tuesday was a beautiful day... until it wasn't. I'm still heartwarmed and heartbroken by how amazing NYC was in the months after... We were all scared and hurting and sad beyond measure... but there was so much love and so much strength. I hope you're feeling that in NY today.

I miss the WTC lights. But I can close my eyes and imagine them... and that somehow makes me feel safe.

I wish us all peace... today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment