Thursday, August 31, 2006

Munchkinland

So, suddenly I'm surrounded by all things Wizard of Oz...

I just finished reading (and discussing) the book WICKED in my book club. Ok, this book is amazing! I loved it so much and just fell in love with the character of Elphaba (the future "Wicked Witch of the West"). She's green and she speaks her mind and knows her heart and she's honest and she fights for what she believes in and she won't conform... I love this green woman. The book is full of political and human rights issues, as well as animal rights. (What's an Animal vs. an animal...?) It's beautifully written and so imaginative.

I actually listened to it on TAPE, rather than reading it, however. And the 14-tape, 20 hour Audio Recording is marvelous.. the narrator is this wonderful man with a great storytelling voice and he voices all the parts and just really brings it to vivid life. I was so sad when I finished... I never wanted it to end, and I foolishly hoped that the Witch would survive somehow... I can't say enough... read it, or listen to it in the car... and then tell me what you think!!

Now I have the Judy Garland film in my house, waiting for viewing, so I can root against Dorothy this time... LOL.

And earlier this week... what did we have here sweeping through Columbus? A freaking tornado. Yup. A TORNADO. I'm sitting here working at around 7:00 PM and Peter calls to tell me about the sirens going off (I have no windows) and a parade of naked people could go down the street and I'd never know. So... I call the one other person left in my creeky old, dirty, totally-unsafe building... and he says he'll go outside to check it out. 10 minutes pass and he's not back. Oh great, I think... he's blown away!! Eventually he shows up... and we know we're supposed to go into the basement (meanwhile, Peter is driving himself home...!?!?), but the basement in THIS building is truly the least safe place to be. If the building crumpled, we'd never ever ever ever be found. So we wait it out until around 8:20 and then decide it's time to just leave and risk it. It was so eerie outside... completely SILENT, dead calm with no wind whatsoever, and dark, yet light at the same time. For a moment I wondered if I was standing right in the eye of the storm.

Lucky for me, I'm still in Kansas, uh... Ohio.



No comments:

Post a Comment